The password is saved.
Sign in page. Password field auto populates.
Not recognised. It doesn’t announce “unrecognised”. It is not.
Not a thing. Nothing.
Type in the combination of numbers, symbols and letters.
S L O W L Y. A magical incantation breathed through hope.
Capture this: I am not a bot.
But I could be, reduced to recursive cycle of zeros.
Locked out. Too many attempts.
Request new password.
Check email. Wait.
Invent new password. Too short. Too obvious. Too.
It asks again: remember me?
No. You never remember me.
Or if you do, it is back to front, or with lighter hair than I have now. Or without glasses. How can we be expected to remember anything if software designed to remember can’t?
There is no pass or fail.
- Whose death made you the saddest?
- What was your maternal grandmother’s dream job?
- Which brother never returned your copy of War and Peace?*
- How many times did your school bus lose an exhaust pipe after being driven off the road by a cattle truck?
- What food won’t Dad ever eat?
- How did your first cat die?
*Fake question, the book was Les Miserables.